This Award is provided by the Minister for Education through the Multicultural Education and Languages Committee (MELC) and administered by the Australia Day Council of South Australia. This Award is presented at the Australia Day Awards Ceremony each year.
MELC is a ministerial advisory committee that works collaboratively with the three schooling sectors and community organisations in South Australia in the interrelated areas of languages education, multicultural education and international education. MELC works towards ensuring that education for all students is enriched by the value of engagement with linguistic and cultural diversity and that young people learn to operate with sophistication and ease with diverse people.
Individuals and organisations are encouraged to submit nominations of young people who demonstrate excellence and leadership in languages and cultures.
Nominees must be:
- 24 years or younger.
- Nominated by another person or a group, community organisation, school, etc.
- Outstanding qualities, including community leadership and effective communication skills
- Commitment to advocacy for a multicultural Australia.
- Sound capability in more than one language, and
- The ability to operate across languages and cultures.
Ensure you address ALL of the criteria
Process of nomination
Nominations should include the nomination form and a written submission of between 500-2000 words from the nominating person or organisation.
The written submission should address the following:
- Why you believe your nominee should win the Award for Leadership in Languages and Cultures.
- How your nominee demonstrates capability in more than one language.
- Outstanding qualities your nominee has and how they demonstrate community leadership and effective communication skills.
- Their contribution to advocacy for a multicultural Australia.
- The impact of this person’s advocacy on the community.
- The scope of their advocacy and how they operate across cultures.
Nominations must provide the names, addresses and telephone numbers of three referees who are familiar with the achievements of each the nominee.
Individuals or organisations may submit nominations.
Process of Selection
- The Selection Panel will consist of representatives from the Multicultural Education and Languages Committee and the Australia Day Council.
- The panel will use the listed criteria to shortlist finalists.
- Finalists maybe contacted for an interview to assist the panel in selecting the award winner.
- The award will be announced and presented at an awards ceremony to be held at Government House in January 2020.
- Only award recipients will be contacted. Receipt of all nominations will be acknowledged formally on Australia Day.
Nominations for the 2020 Award close: 1 November 2019
For more information please visit: Award for Leadership in Languages and Cultures